Translate

Thursday 30 January 2014

Around Britain

Around Britain on a Mobility Scooter


It was only a few weeks ago that I got to learn about this Challenge using a 'Tramper' Mobility Scooter & Sleeping Trailer along with his two pet cats as passengers.

Sadly, as yet, I do not know the gentlemans name. I will add it in here once I find it.  


His Name is Mark Newton

A brief history from the Donations Website

In 1991 whilst attached to the United Nations in Cyprus I suffered a life changing injury to my right leg. In 2009 my condition had deteriorated to the point where walking was painfully difficult, it was suggested to me that I contact SSAFA to see if they are able to help, they did all the form filling and ringing around to get me a mobility scooter, 1 The Queens Dragoon Guards (my old Regiment) and The Royal British Legion came up with the money to pay for it. I was then made redundant in August 2010, instead of sitting around and doing nothing I started planning a trip 'Round Wales', this took place during May and June of 2011 and covered more than 1450 miles and raised just over £9000 for 1 The Queens Dragoon Guards, Help for Heroes and The Royal British Legion.
Before even finishing that I had already started planning this trip in my mind. I added SSAFA to the list after I embarrassingly forgot them on my first trip! I added the Royal National Lifeboat Institution so that I had goals other than the end of each day, they are also in my eyes unsung heroes just as the forces are! This is still to come
I fund my trips with the little money I have left from my War Pension and the generosity of the British people and Businesses
I got my scooter on the 23 December 2009 after a lot of help from the Royal British Legion, 1st The Queens Dragoon Guards and the Army Benevolent fund. The Soldiers, Sailors Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) Forces Help did all the leg work and form filling for me. I have covered nearly 10000 miles in that time, quite possibly the most used mobility scooter in Britain.
I never set a target amount as I'm grateful for every penny and I'm pretty sure the charities are, I have two reasons:
1. If I don't reach the target I'll be upset.
2. If I reach the target people may think they don't need to donate anymore.

The Mobility Scooter website: http://www.tramper.co.uk/





Started on April 7, 2013




Latest track update, 5660 miles in

No comments:

Post a Comment