Translate

Tuesday, 15 July 2014

Fitting my 'R. Nick Taylor' Designed, Aluminium Tool Rack.

Fitting my 'R. Nick Taylor' Designed Aluminium Tool Rack.





 The New Tray about to be fitted into the Car



A Few Weeks ago I displayed the R100 at a A Classic Car Show when it was showered with seed 
pods so yesterday I decided to Vacuum Clean the cabin.

Following up on Member Nick Taylor's super development of an Aluminium Tool Tray, I took the 
opportunity to take another look at my Plastic version by removing it for only the second time in 
our ownership.

The first surprise I remember having , on removing the carpet, was finding the two crude 3 ply catches 
which hold the Tool Tray Lid in place.

Broken 3 Ply Latch.

 On looking this time, I found that one catch had split in two. I realised that I may have caused this by 
inserting a thick layer of Foam Rubber under the lid during my first viewing designed to stop any 
movement and rattling of the Jack. 

While I have now replaced the tray once again using this broken catch I need to obtain some suitable 
strong material to fashion two new ones.

During the first examination, following my Around The Coast trip, I found that the pointed feet on the Jack 
had made some small holes which I covered with a single layer of Duct Tape. 
I was in for a bigger shock this time.


With the flexing of the Plastic, despite my padding, The Jack had now punched two holes again with the 
larger one having lost the missing areas to the road. The angled rubbed area, near to the hole, suggests 
that the Tray may also be rubbing on the Hand Brake Cable.

 My Tool Tray, Inverted to show the Underside.

  • If so you will be aware that some of us have suffered from damaged Tool Trays due to the
  •  Differential hitting the lowest part of the Tool Tray Profile and,  in my case, punching a hole in it.

  • Having seen Nicks marvelous Aluminium Tool Tray a few of us have request Nick to have extra
  • Trays made for us. 

  • I have only just made time to fit mine but before I did I decided to add en enhancement of my 
  • own. Hopefully it will prove to be useful, but if not, I can always remove it without too much 
  • trouble.

  • In my loft, which I am in the process of clearing 32 years of clutter I found a single sheet of 1mm 
  • thick Fiberboard which I have used in my past to make Long Life Patterns for Garment Making. 
  • When I checked the current version I was astounded to discover that The Supplier Morpan charge 
  • for a single sheet £32.95 +VAT and they have changed the colour to red.

  • http://www.morplan.com/shop/en/morplan/garment--manufacturing/pattern-
  • making/pattern-papers-boards/pattern-board

Not being an engineer, my design is a little 'Heath Robinson' and my Very Rough Sketches 
were subject to many alterations and I discovered how the board reacted to being folded.

Scribbles and Scrawlings.

My Plan was to make a series of Box like Trays which each fitted a section of the Tool Tray so that 
any items stored there would be contained within its Tray.

Not wanting to commit too much time and material before being happy with the idea, I decided to 
make the Smallest Tray first.


Here are the First Two trays in place. The Staples used to fix the corners proved to be a nightmare 
to insert requiring quite a few 2nd and 3rd goes before getting a 'perfect' staple.


The Largest tray needed the full length of my Sheet of Board and even then there had to be
 a slight compromise on the depth of the end sections to get it to fit.


This Close Up shows the deep 'Stanly Knife scoring needed to both provide a guide for cutting and to
 aid the folding process.


Here is the Folded and Stapled Deep Tray - You can see the compromise shorter end piece.



Here among the junk in my bedroom office you can see the Large Tray 

The Last Tray type to make and fit is the Large Side Tray of which there are also two. Here is the cut 
piece of one of them ready to fold and staple.

Here is the Toll Rack with all Seven Trays fitted in position. 

The Last Part of my assembly process is to use this High Adhesive Duct Tape to fix the Trays together
 and in place. Another 'heat Robinson' method which may not hold up over time.

Before this stage I have taken the Tray back to the Car and drilled Five Fixing Screw Holes. The Three
 Front Holes line up with the Screw Hole locations of the Original Tray. This Frame is only 1/2in wide 
offering little room for maneuver.

 The Back Two Holes are New Holes in the Upright part of the Back Support Frame which is only 3/4in
 deep

This stage is to apply stips of adhesive sponge which in my case was left over from fitting a Sink Unit
 but Adhesive Draft Excluding Strip would provide the same 'Leveling' function.. 
My Hood Supporting Rig allows me to work with maximum space. 


Here is the Tool Tray fixed in place. Before fixing it I took the opportunity to Spray my Leaf Springs with
 Castrol Aerosol Motorcycle Grease.




 I decided to make the Rear Fixing right through the Lining Tray.


The Side Fixing using the existing Screw Holes is a Temporary Fix using two old French Coins which
 already had a Centre Hole. I did not have any Penny Washers or Shaped Brackets.

The Side Supports on the New Tray were too narrow to reach the existing Screw Holes and the overlap
 with the Wood Frame is less than 1/2in each side so too risky to drill new holes. .


Here is the finished job loaded with all of the items that I took from the original 
tray. 

Jack
Jack Handle
Mallet
Wheel Nut Spanner

There is still plenty of extra usable space for additional items. 

The white pad fixed in the centre is an A4 Square of Plastic Foam which will provide a buffer with the 
lid to stop it rattling. 

In an effort to tidy up the interior of the tool tray and prevent unnecessary rattles I made some Special Tool Bags for the Large stuff


 I made my Draw String Bags from some Waterproof Nylon Fabric lined with a Tea Towel Fabric.

This one is for the Jack.  


Here are my Full Set for the Jack, The Jack Handle The Mallet and The Wheel Spanner

I hope this proves useful
Frank

1 comment:

  1. Impressive stuff Frank, well done.
    Chris Gleave

    ReplyDelete