Translate

Friday 17 May 2013

Day 8 - Newcastle to Leeds

Please Donate to .....  http://www.bmycharity.com/1000milerally


The Hotels Horse Theme extended with this large bronze in the Dining Room.

 Today is Bank Holiday Monday and I could only get one store to allow me to Fund Raise and that was in the City of York. I needed to visit Durham, Darlington, and Northallerton to be authentic to the Rally Route so I set off for Durham.

As I prepared the car, these two decided that did not like what I was doing and came over to protest.

The Mog, ready to leave the South Causy Hotel



The back roads to Durham from Beamish



 As I round this bend in the road I could just see Durham Cathedral in the distance.

 Crossing the river bridge I took this lucky snap of the Durham Castle as well.

Access to the Town Square & Cathedral normally incurs a Toll Fee. Today, No fee was needed?





 The Cathedral is so large and the quadrangle is just not large enough for me to get it all into the picture,

The Castle is part of Durham University with its main gate leading onto the Quadrangle.

The University Library




The Castle Keep.
 Driving Down Old Elvet on the way back to the town centre.

The Market Square from the other direction. 

 Some Blossom Spotted alongside the road.

The Bridges at Ferry Hill on my way south. 






Some Carved figures on a Village Green 



I found myself on the A19 for a short while and there was a broken down tanker causing chaos. 

Even the A19 can offer some stunning views. 

I managed to exit the AS19 and get back on the road to York via Northallerton & Thirsk


An unscheduled stop gave this photo opportunity.



Soon I am approaching the City of York 




 I took the opportunity to visit friends Pam & Peter for a Coffee and Cheese Scone.



 There is a good chance that these buildings were here when the original Rally passed by towards the city centre.






 As was so often the case during this trip, A Brick Watsit (Van) spoilt my only chance of a shot of the York Minster


A section of the old City Walls and the Gateway to the Cathedral Close..

Being in the City Centre I was soon parked at Sainsbury' Fossbank Store where I was to spend the next 4 hours. Being a Bank Holiday Monday it was very quiet dueing the afternoon.


While there I met this couple in their Morgan +8 

Then Pam & Peter popped round to see where I was fundraising.

These two Nurses from the local Hospital donated and agreed to be photographed for this Blog. 

 Fund Raising over for the day, I set off for Leeds and my Hotel. I passed more of the City Walls 


Following my Military Theme I noticed this Barracks along the way.


 Some Pretty Alms Houses.






Crossing the River Wharfe



The route from York to my Hotel at Wetherby was a lovely drive.

 In the evening I went for a meal with an old business colleague and his wife at their home in Bardsley where the Oldest Public House in England is located.


Selwyn, looking in superb form. We have not met for quite a few years

A Glass of Fine Wine and a Good Book to read relaxing in the Sunshine. Sounds like Bliss to me.

Wendy, with the Mog. just before we had a lovely meal together cooked together with Selwyn. 

Later, I said my farewells and headed back to Wetherby for what would seem a very short night.


Funds Raised Today at York - £98.95

No comments:

Post a Comment