Translate

Sunday, 22 April 2012

Day 13 Carlisle to Poulton le Fylde

Actual Miles Driven Today - 206

Vallum House Hotel Carlisle
Sunday Morning at the Vallum House Hotel was quiet with only one other guest for breakfast. The restaurant the night before was fully booked as the food there was excellent as were the rooms.

Is I packed the car to leave, Mine Host made a welcome donation to H4H and presented me with a handsom packed lunch as well.

The King Edward I statue is on the Village Green in Burgh by Sands, and has been donated to the village by Fred Story of Story Construction Ltd.

Photo taken, I set off for the North East Coastal town of Silloth. 

Before I did as I was on the Burgh Road I though a visit to Burgh by Sands was essential. after passing through the village I took the cast road. 

Then I saw the sign saying 'Subject to Tidal Flooding' As I had not bought any Tide Tables with me it was 'About Turn Pronto'.

On The 'Cobbles' in Silloth
Silloth was a revelation as well. The whole town has wide cobbled streets. Call it a Rumble Strip if you like.


The coast road down to Maryport was an easy drive as my expectations of a good days driving increased with every mile.

A Smart Multi Coloured Terrace
On through Workington was equally smooth as there is not much of interest there.

The Harbour at Whitehaven
Whitehaven was another matter with a lovely harbour to view alongside a large Tesco with newspapers, Toilet and Free Parking. 

Perfect for a coffee break in a small bistro popular for Sunday Breakfasts it seems.

Interesting Bronze Maritime Sculptures along the Harbourside.

As I strolled back along the harbour there was a series of metal sculptures of how to get Knotted in Whitehaven.

Turnstiles to Nowhere?
The Lady who set me on the Right Road to St Bees

The next part finding the road to St Bees required the help of my personal guide who gave me a perfect description. 

Single track roads with very few passing places all the way to near Sellafield. 

I was fortunate again in that I was at a passing place as the large tanker swung around the bend in front of me. Phew!

Single Track all of the way to Sellofield


I could not get near enough to take a good photo of Sellafield, knowing how pretty it is, even by passing through Seascale where there is a gate named after Calder Hall.


Over the Head shot of Leaving Seascale.

It was not long before I was approaching the Ravenglass Railway terminal. 

What a lovely place to pull in for a Lunch break. I could have spent all day here. 

Resting Engineering in the Car Park.
Hooking Up for the run to Eskdale.
Driver under Training on the Pawplate
Well, someone has to draw the Short Straw and only get the diesel engine .
That Packed Lunch was calling as I pulled into the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway station. 

As I crossed the bridge a train was passing underneath so I had to wait a while for the next up train to be formed. 

It was worth the wait as this little beauty reversed onto the waiting carriages.

Fed and Watered I set off for more fun driving while watching the Black Rain clouds releasing their load over the Hills and Morecambe Bay. 

I seemed to be blessed again today with my own patch of sunshine. Slight drizzle and the hood stayed down all day.


Travelling through Barrow in Furness was a revelation. 


The end. No Coast Road along here.

No run down factories. All of the BAE Systems buildings were modern and clean and pass muster allowing to proceed for Grange-over-Sands and Carnforth.

Running down to Ambleside.

Ambleside 

On the way I took the diversion into Ambleside, as no through road which runs along the side of the upper Morecambe Bay.

Chris Brisco & +4 (with my Roadster 100 Lurking in the background)
On the way back out I met the second Morgan on this journey so pulled over. 

The new Blue +4 was owned by Chris Brisco who made a good donation to H4H while we chatted. 

He was just returning home for a large Multicenter Morgan Meeting somewhere up in the hills attended by Chairman Andrew Hirst and Past Chairman Brian Lee, none of whom maybe knew that I was passing nearby? 

Thank You MSCC Centres for all the support, I don't think. 

Photos taken we said our farewells. 

It will be interesting to see who, other than Roadster 100 owner and friend Nick Taylor, comes to the visit to Lifes Motors in Southport on Monday.

Morecambe Sea Front

The Polo Tower landmark in the distance.
Now for Morecambe and Heysham. 

I was told to look out for a great pub on the seafront. I found it easily but dare not stop now as time was getting on.


Lancaster Civic Halls

Queen Victoria keeping watch over the City Elders.

As I wound my way through Lancaster it was the princple of turning right that got me through onto the Cockerham road. There were no signposts that I could find?


The final run into the Hotel at Poulton le Fylde was another joy with good roads and light traffic. 

Well it was Sunday evening at 7.30pm and I was a very happy driver today. 

Even the 'Road Eater' seemed happy as the covers when on.

The Shard Riverside Hotel

The Riverside Terrace.

The Hotel looks smart and modern sitting pretty alongside the river. 

Here is to another good night sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment