Translate

Sunday 22 April 2012

Day 13 Carlisle to Poulton le Fylde


Actual Miles Driven Today - 206




Vallum House Hotel Carlisle
Sunday Morning at the Vallum House Hotel was quiet with only one other guest for breakfast. 

The restaurant the night before was fully booked as the food there was excellent as were the rooms.

Is I packed the car to leave, Mine Host made a welcome donation to H4H and presented me with a handsome packed lunch as well.


The King Edward I statue is on the Village Green in Burgh by Sands, and has been donated to the village by Fred Story of Story Construction Ltd.




As I was on the Burgh Road I thought a visit to Burgh by Sands was essential. after passing through the village I took the coast road. 

Then I saw the sign saying 'Subject to Tidal Flooding'. As I had not bought any Tide Tables with me it was 'About Turn Pronto'.




Photo taken, I set off for the North East Coastal town of Silloth. 


It is not long before I meet a group of cyclists 


Would they move over? Would they hell. 


I cut across inland slightly to Newton Arlosh which was on my original route along the B5307. 


Not sure if this is for restoration or change of use?






It did not take long to get to Silloth.


Who would have thought that I would be driving on Cobbled Streets.



Bouncing over the 'Cobbles' in Silloth
Silloth was a revelation as well. The whole town has these very wide cobbled streets. 

Call it a Rumble Strip if you like.





The hills of Cumbria can be seen in the distance.


Mmm. I could go a Mr. Whippy Ice Cream.


Looking back towards Scotland.






The coast road down to Maryport was an easy drive as my expectations of a good days driving increased with every mile.






A blurred sign for Allonby




Arriving at Maryport.




A Smart Multi Coloured Terrace



Maryport behind me we arrive at Industrial Flimby


Dropping the camera onto my lanyard it has taken its own photo of my concentration.




Before I know it I am leaving Flimby again.


Taking advantage of an exposed coastline is this line of Wind turbines.




Unbranded Industrial regeneration with nice new buildings 


Crossing the River Derwent.





On through Workington was equally smooth as there is not much of interest there.




Through High Harrington and on my way to Whitehaven.




Somehow I missed the parallel B road ending up on this short stretch of dual carriageway of the A595


At the first opportunity I get off of the A road to St Bridget's Church Moresby on the left.


A sign for Moresby Roman Fort.


I am soon back on the main road into Whitehaven.


The Harbourside Statue at the entrance to the Tesco's Car Park where I would park for a while, buy a Newspaper and tomorrows lunch pack.


The Whitehaven Inner Harbour.


Whitehaven was another matter with a lovely harbour to view alongside a large Tesco with newspapers, Toilet and Free Parking. 


I manage to position the Morgan in front of the Harbour at Whitehaven.
It was perfect for a coffee break in a small bistro popular for Sunday Breakfasts it seems.







As I strolled back along the harbour there was a another series of metal sculptures of how to get Knotted in Whitehaven.


An interesting Bronze Maritime Sculpture along the Harbourside.








The Marina 




I need to get back on the road.



Evidence of more past industries now gone. Turnstiles to Nowhere?




The next part finding the road to St. Bees required the help of a personal guide to give me a perfect description.  

At this point I had no idea where I was.





The Lady who set me on the Right Road to St Bees. 


I was already here.






I took the Single track road to Nethertown which had very few passing places all the way to near Sellafield. 










I was fortunate again in that I was at a passing place as the large tanker swung around the bend in front of me. Phew!



More of the Single Track all of the way to Sellafield



The tower of the Decommissioned Nuclear Chimney in the distance






The River Ehen and Folly Tower at Braystones






Crossing the River Calder at Calder Bridge





The closest point to Sellafield Nuclear establishment that I probably would want to get.









Entering the town of Gosforth where I swing back to the coast at Seascale





I have no idea what this Chimney'd tower was used for?


I could not get near enough to take a good photo of Sellafield, knowing how pretty it is, even by passing through Seascale where there is a gate named after Calder Hall.




Over the Head shot of Leaving Seascale.




Views of the sea once again.




Leaving Seascale over the railway bridge




The Cumbrian Mountains in the distance looking inland.


Entering Holmrock


About to make a right turn onto the A595 again.




It was not long before I was approaching the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway terminal. 



 That Packed Lunch was calling as I pulled into the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway station. 

As I crossed the bridge a train was passing underneath so I had to wait a while for the next up train to be formed. 


I could not pass up the opportunity for a visit here.



What a lovely place to pull in for a Lunch break. I could have spent all day here. 


Resting Engineering in the Car Park.




An empty station at the moment






The Station Signal Box


Waiting to enter service.


The Coast to Coast Challenge route.


The Miniature version of the Track




The Main Line Signal Box


Steaming Up



It was worth the wait as this little beauty reversed onto the waiting carriages.

Hooking Up for the run to Eskdale.










Coffee to Go.

Driver under Training on the 'Paw-plate'


Well, someone has to draw the Short Straw and only get the Diesel engine.

Fed and Watered I set off for more fun driving while watching the Black Rain clouds releasing their load over the Hills and Morecambe Bay. 





Champing at the Bit and Ready to leave.


Overhead view of the coast.


The Gates to Muncaster Castle as I skirt around the River Esk. 








A lovely driving road as we pass along the edge of The Lake District National Park with no traffic today.







The sign for Waberthwaite.

















Lake District Hills to my left.


Sparkly Sea and Wind-farm Masts in the mist at Silecroft Beach. 




600 meter high 'Blackcombe'


Silecroft Crossing gates are open 




Arriving at Millom






From Millom I have to travel north again to get around The Furness at Bank End.




Who could wish for a more quiet road? Superb.








I seemed to be blessed again today with my own patch of sunshine. 


Slight drizzle and the hood stayed down all day.


Travelling through Barrow in Furness was a revelation. 



Passing the Station at Foxfield going south again.














Swinging westward through Ireleth and Askem in Furness.




A Local Brick Factory on my right leaving Askam.




Entering Barrow in Furness - No Big Macs for me on this trip. 




The Barrow in Furness Shipyards






The end of the road. There is no Coast Road along here.

No run down factories. All of the BAE Systems buildings were modern and clean and pass muster allowing me to proceed for Grange-over-Sands and Carnforth.
















Leaving Barrow in Furness


Now I am following the coast of Morecambe Bay to Ulverston to get around the River Leven.




Miles and Miles of Dangerous Sand at low tide.




The Seafront Homes at Roosebeck




Arriving at Baycliff with the Fishermans Arms Hotel just ahead.




Here I am going through Ulverston towards the hill topped by the Sir John Barrow Monument.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_John_Barrow,_1st_Baronet






Through the village of Cark






Through Grange over Sands on my way to Milnthorpe for Arnside










Passing the Elizabethan Levens Hall on the A6 near Leasgill



Arriving at Milnthorpe ready to turn south for Arnside.




The narrow streets of Milnthorpe













Running down to Arnside through Sandside.




On the way I took the diversion into Arnside, as a no through road, which runs along the side of the upper Morecambe Bay.


The Old Ship near to Arnside where we lunched many years ago.







Entering the town.




The railway bridge across the River Kent.


Arnside is a Cul de Sac town so I have turned and am heading north again for Carnforth.



Arnside

Nearing the Railway Bridge again.


Passing Arnside Station 


On the way back out I turn the corner and there is this lovely blue Morgan so pulled over to investigate . I have to stop and look.


The new Blue +4 was owned by Chris Brisco who is well know in Morgan Sports Car Club Circles in the north. 

Chris made a good donation to Help 4 Heroes while we chatted. 

He was just returning home for a large Multi Center Morgan Meeting somewhere up in the hills at the famous Tan Hill Public House, attended by Club Chairman Andrew Hirst and Past Chairman Brian Lee, none of whom probably knew that I was passing nearby despite my advertising? 


Thank You MSCC Centres for all your support, I don't think. 




Photos taken we said our farewells. 

It will be interesting to see who, other than Roadster 100 owner and friend Nick Taylor, comes to the visit at Lifes Motors in Southport on Monday.





Another nice quiet road along the coast to Silverdale.
















The 'Welcome to Morecambe' sign is great to see as I have not too far to travel now to my nights rest.


Morecambe Sea Front



One of the Raised Huts used by Lifeguards who watch over those dangerous sands.




The holiday center of town.


Every good beach has its Clock Tower.

I was told to look out for a great pub on the seafront. I found it easily but dare not stop now as time was getting on.



On the left ahead is a famous Elizabethan Style Public House where I was recommended to have a Pint of Ale, but sadly that would have to wait for a future visit.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/32/32856/Kings_Arms/Morecambe



Morecambe's Polo Mint Tube Tower landmark in the distance.


My camera aim let me down for this close up.

Now for Heysham and Poulton Le-Fylde . 





 I was soon alongside the River Lune near Lancaster.


Lancaster is ahead with its proud City Hall Tower on the skyline.


I am here at last passing the park in the centre.



Lancaster Civic Hall.


Queen Victoria keeping watch over the City Elders.






As I wound my way through Lancaster it was the princple of turning right that got me through onto the Cockerham road. 

There were no signposts that I could find?




Hambleton Village 

The final run into the Hotel on the banks of the River Wyre at Poulton le Fylde was another joy with good roads and light traffic. 

Well it was Sunday evening at 7.30pm and I was a very happy driver today. 


The Riverside Terrace.


The Shard Riverside Hotel

Even the 'Road Eater' seemed happy as the covers when on.

The Hotel looks smart and modern sitting pretty alongside the river. 

Here is to another good night sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment