Translate

Sunday, 29 April 2012

Day 18 - Trimstone Manor to Penzance

Actual Miles Driven Today - 231

Mog at Trimstone Manor

I did not check the hotel facilities before I booked - Mind you, any Distractions from my Blogging task just would not do.

The Indoor Swimming Pool and Spa. 

The Games Room

The Manager and his wife are very proud of their pair of Supras, such that he asked me 'is that your small car out there?' 

It is easy to see which one is HIS!


Woolacombe, that fabulous surfing Beach was just down the road. We holidayed there many years ago when the children were young

At Woolacombe Beach

Our Holiday Hotel has not stood the test of time, it seems. 
The route took me through the pretty village of Croyde, followed by a fabulous view over the bay of Saunton Sands and Dunes, which look like something from an overgrown battlefield 

Croyde

Saunton Sands Bay

The Dunes in the distance

Next stop for a coffee was at Clovelly having travelled through Barnstaple, Appledore and the edge of Bideford. 

I blagged this parking spot for the photo. The visitor centre and cafe in the background is a new addition since I was last there. 

You have to go through there now to access the path to the village and Harbour.
At Clovelly

Pathway down to the Village through the Cafe & Gift Shop
Another of our holiday haunts then was Bude where they seem to have created this lake from the once empty canal.

The Canal at Bude

Bude 

It was a very pleasant drive down the A39 and onto the B3263 to reach Boscastle 
(of that disastrous & fatal flood some years ago). 

With the long valley run into the village from the north it is easy to see where the Rainwater Torrent was funnelled down the hill.

Going down the Hill into Boscastle

Going further South the coastal town of the King Arthur Ledgend is Tintagel. I found out once before that the best view of the mystical Castle is from the car park of this hotel called 'Camelot'.
Hotel Camelot ?
The Castle across the inlet from the car park.
 Our recent holiday resort in Cornwall is Polzeath.

Just before arriving at the Beach Car Park there I tried to get into the Harbourside of Port Isaac (Port Wem of Doc Martin fame). 

I was stymied by a removal van and had to do a 3 point turn in the narrowest of roads to get back, at which point I gave up that idea.

Towards Port Issac
Polzeath Shops on the hill down to the bay 
The Surfing Beach & Car Park from my Bonnet.
 I tried to phone my daughter to make her envious. Sods Law prevails again. No Vodafone Signal for me.

So on around the lanes to that other famous beach town of the young and wealthy - Rock.

I had to turn around at Rock as there is no through road here. 


I was outside 'The Mariners' Pub where some alfresco diners took interest in the car. 

Never known to miss an opportunity, I switched off, got out and told the story. 
100% success with gaining more donations.

The view to Padstow from Rock
   
A quick skip around the river to Padstow via Wadebridge. 

No visit to Padstow is complete without a visit to Rick Stein's restaurants.

On the Harbour Side at the Fish & Chip Restaurant, closed today.
The Rick Stein Main Restaurant.
The Inner Harbour Padstow
On the way down to Newquay, I took a diversion to the back of the Airport to find RAF St Mawgan. 

This is the base where the Nimrod Spy Planes used to be located.


Driving though Newquay was a revelation as I found the changes made prevented me from getting close to the seadfront to take any pics.

All I could get of the Beaches at Newquay while on the move.

The Wheal Coats Engine House in the distance
The road through Peranporth and St Agnes and Portreath did not offer that much of interest.



Laid Back Cycling going uphill.

St Ives is a place that needs more time to explore both in the town and around the nearby coast.

Into St Ives

Trying to find the Harbour.

I got there in the end.

At Pendeen I passed by the Geevor Tin Mine on my way to Lands End.




On though St Just to finally arrive at Lands End - my JOG-LE completed on one of the long ways around. 

At the Arrival Point
At the Back of the Hotel where the Sign Post would normally be. It was past Closing Time.
Now I see the Point.
A Bit Smarter than the Tacky Graffiti Clad Hotel at John O'Groats 
One more harbour visit and then onto Newlyn and my overnight stop at Penzance




As I found out as I sailed through Penzance and on into Newlyn. 
Newlyn & Penzance merge into one.


I found my beautifully furnished Georgian Hotel called The Warwick House located  right on the Front overlooking the sea..




As I unloaded the car I met John from Cambridge who was also on a Solo Mission in that he had just returned from the Scilly Isles where he had been painting for a week. 

- http://www.scillyonline.co.uk/

We went for an excellent meal at the very popular Turks Head Public House nearby.


No comments:

Post a Comment