Translate

Friday, 13 April 2012

Day 4 - Seahouses to Perth

Actual Miles Driven Today - 181

The Links Hotel in Seahouses
As I prepared Mog (no wash today as Rain expected) and set off from The Links Hotel Seahouses I did not realise what a special day this would prove to be.

Ready to Roll
The run  up to The Forth Road Bridge is a beautiful route and a real pleasure to drive.

Bye Bye Bamburgh
Early on the Sat Nav started to malfunction and then fell off as its plinth broke in two. 

It worked in my favour as there were no distractions and I was able to follow my original route exactly, never leaving the coast.

Holy Island in the distance
Scotland does mark the coastal route with frequent signs which helps a lot. The busy A1 only featured for a short part where there is no alternative.

Entering Berwick on Tweed
South again over the old road bridge
The route was to Bamburgh, Berwick on Tweed, Eyemouth, Dunbar and then up to North Berwick running back down to Edinburgh via Aberlady, Prestonpans and Musselburgh.

Crossing Into Scotland for the next 9 days & No Passport needed!
One of those long open roads
A Nuclear Power Station with Holiday Park on the beach nearby
Dunbar Harbour
Bass Rock & Tantallon Castle
Part of the Prestonpans Mural Trail
I was heading for the docks at Leith hoping to find the Royal Yacht and then on to South Queensferry where my Scottish Boss in 1976 Jaeger Days always insisted being taken for dinner at the Haws Inn under the Forth Railway bridge there. 

That would be my lunch break, not in the Haws Inn though as I would need another day to recover from the pleasure.

Leith Docks

MOG & Royal Yacht Britania

While parked between the bridges I received a few more voluntary donations, then it was on through the cobbled streets and up onto the Road Bridge, which is now Toll Free.

Lunch Break, 

South Queensferry & Cobbled Street
Once on the Fife coast it was a less interesting run through Burntisland, Kirkaldy, Methil and Leven before a 'Road Closed Ahead' sign caused me to be diverted to St Andrews, the Home of Golf, over the hills. 

At Leven the heavens opened as I was waiting at traffic lights so I tried for the first time to deploy the portable automatic umbrella. The wind whipped it inside out as the lights changed to green. 
In the cab, I became a scrabble of brolly and camera, with me trying to drive off. 

I had to stop causing chaos, get out and put the hood up, and then sort out the brolly. The hood stayed up all the way to St Andrews.

The Royal & Ancient + 18th Green at St Andrews
Lurking at The Old Course Hotel
The Tourists, Students and Golfers make St Andrews an interesting place if a traffic nightmare. I had to go into it and find those famous golf venues.
The Old Bridge at Perth

I was still on course to arrive at my Perth destination on time a 6pm for the first time this week. I could have avoided Perth by crossing the Tay Road Bridge to Dundee, however I decided to go the extra distance to visit Russel Patterson's Perth Morgan Garage in the morning before setting off to the Moray Firth.
The River Spey in all its glory
More sedate downstream
The road across country to Perth via Cuper was a superb country drive as I zipped along in front of a big Aston Vanquish. Then he found a way around me and was gone into the distance (only to be caught up with at the A92 crossing).

The day was nicely rounded off with Dinner in the Royal George Hotel before sloping off back to my B&B for the night.

1 comment:

  1. Well done, enjoying the Blog and loking forward to the very north of Scotland report. Tony/Plus 4/York

    ReplyDelete