Translate

Friday 13 April 2012

Day 4 - Seahouses to Perth

Actual Miles Driven Today - 181

The Links Hotel in Seahouses




The Hotel Dining Room.


My overnight parking place at the rear of the hotel.


As I prepared the Mog (no wash today as Rain expected) and set off from The Links Hotel, Seahouses, I did not realise what a special day this would prove to be.

Hood Down and Ready to Roll.


The run  up to The Forth Road Bridge is a beautiful route and a real pleasure to drive.



Heading for Bamburgh the road runs right along the waterfront.




The castle is up ahead.






St. Cuthberts Church on the beach.

Bye Bye Bamburgh, my last looks at the castle.


Early on the Sat Nav started to malfunction and then fell off as its plinth broke in two. 

It worked in my favour as there were no distractions and I was able to follow my original route exactly, never leaving the coast.



This hill looks like a good place for a photo.




I stopped but the rote was too tortuous so I decided to continue on my journey.








The view across the Holy Island. Holy Island is in the distance.


Scotland does mark the coastal route with frequent signs which helps a lot. 



Entering Berwick on Tweed, the Border Town.




The Railway Viaduct.


Driving over the new bridge into the town.


The busy A1 only featured for a short part of my route where there is no alternative.

The centre of Berwick on Tweed. 

I wanted to cross into the town using the Old Bridge only to find that it was part of a One Way system.






I look for a route to find the Old Bridge.


I eventually turn South again and find myself going over the old Road Bridge.



Once off of the Old Bridge I would have to turn North again and travel over the new bridge on the A1 again.


The route north from Berwick on Tweed via Eyemouth, Dunbar and then up to North Berwick before running back down to Edinburgh via Aberlady, Prestonpans and Musselburgh.




Crossing Into Scotland for the next 9 days & No Passport needed!



I take the next right turn off of the A1 onto the A1107 to get nearer to the coast.


The road heads for Eyemouth and swings back inland through Coldingham.




Even at this far away point the Torness Nuclear Power Station is visible. 






The coast winds in and out with plenty of remote bays.


Crossing the river bridge on the A1107 just before rejoining the A1.





The Torness Nuclear Power Station with Holiday Park on the beach nearby.














Dunbar Harbour and Castle Ruin.









The Dunbar Leisure Pool.

I assume that this must have been the Town Hall at some time?


The Harbour from the Leisure Pool





The coast towards North Berwick.




Maritime memorabilia on the quayside.






Looking south again as I leave Dunbar along Lamar Street.


As I get near to North Berwick I get this good view of The Bass Rock & Tantallon Castle

The Rock and its Lighthouse on the side.




When you see this giant rock you know that you are approaching North Berwick.








Driving through North Berwick.




Bass Rock from a different angle


Gullane Golf Club.




The view across the Firth of Forth towards Leven.


Through the town of Aberlady.


My first view  of the towers of the chimneys of Cockenzie Power Station, now demolished.






Approaching the Cockenzie Power Station

This large mural on the wall outside is part of the Prestonpans Mural Trail





The complete Mural




One of the Prestonpans Mural Trail Walls

https://www.andrewcrummy.com/prestonpans-mural-trail



The complete Mural.


On the A199 driving through The High Street in Musselburgh.




Bernard Street in Leith.

As I had not had the benefit of driving through the centre of Edinburgh, I was heading for the docks at Leith hoping to find the, now retired, Royal Yacht


Crossing the Bridge near to classier Shore Street looking at the Ristorante De Nero ship.


I have now taken a right turn off of the A199 into Ocean Drive. The Royal Yacht Britannia is around here somewhere.


I stop here at The Albert Docks Basin for a photo and then turn around again.


Oil Rig Support Ships in the background.




Making my way back down Ocean Drive still hunting for Britannia.


I was amazed at the length of this queue waiting to go into the fun fair here.


At the end of the Ocean Terminal Building I took a right turn into Melrose Drive and another right into the car park of an office block of 100 The Gate and parked alongside their fence.
MOG & Royal Yacht Britannia - Success at last.




The Royal Yacht Britannia.

Before leaving, I was now desperate for a comfort break again. Just then I met a lady who was locking up The Gate Offices.
Once approached, she allowed me to inspect their plumbing for which I made a donation of £2 into my H4H tin and all was well for driving again.
Then I needed to get on and drive to South Queensferry where my Scottish Boss during 1976 Jaeger Days always insisted being taken for dinner at the Hawes Inn which is located right under the Forth Railway bridge there. 



Newhaven Harbour Lighthouse on the A901


Along the Shore at Granton.


Muirhouse Mansion on Marine Drive, Muirhouse.


Following the Coast Road here takes you down some quiet roads which seem to go to nowhere, or end up in a park as this one did.


Across the Firth of Fourth.


The meandering burn in the sands a low tide.


In the park having turned to leave again and find the road to South Queensferry again.




Driving through Cramond I get my first view of the famous Fourth Railway Bridge featured well in the film The 39 Steps.


Now at South Queensferry From I am right under the railway bridge


To my left is the Fourth Road Bridge which I need to cross when I leave here.


Unfortunately, the popularity of this spot prevents me getting a Mog and Bridge photo clear of the other cars.

This would be my lunch break spot today, not in the Hawes Inn though as I would need another day to recover from those past pleasures.
While parked between the bridges I received a few more voluntary donations from other visitors to this picturesque spot.

Then it was on through the cobbled streets of South Queensferry and up onto the Forth Road Bridge, which is now Toll Free.

My Lunch place today.








Ok, so it is a Lamborghini. Not a smart as my Moran.


It is time to continue my journey as I pass the black & white Hawes Inn on my right. Maybe I should have popped in? 

No! too tempting and I am driving.


These narrow streets of South Queensferry are cobbled so we are in for some juddering as we climb out through the village.






Between the Houses provides a stunning view.




Now up onto the A9000, I stop for fuel before crossing over on the bridge and there is the same Lamborghini. I recognised the owner.


Expecting the toll booths I notice that since I last crossed here in the 1970's they have been removed and it is free to cross now. 




I tried to get this snap of the Rail Bridge but without much success.


Once on the Fife coast it was a less interesting run through Burntisland, Kirkaldy, Methil and Leven before a 'Road Closed Ahead' sign at Anstruther caused me to be diverted via an inland route to get to St Andrews, the Home of Golf, over the hills. 

At Leven the heavens opened as I was waiting at traffic lights so I tried for the first time to deploy the portable automatic umbrella. 
The wind whipped it inside out as the lights changed to green. 

In the cab, I became a scrabble of brolly and camera, with me trying to drive off. 

I had to stop causing chaos, get out and put the hood up, and then sort out the brolly. The hood stayed up all the way to St Andrews.

It was raining heavily as I drove around the Fife coast and I did not take many photos. 




I arrive in St Andrews and try to find my way to the Old Golf Course which is somewhere in this corner of town.

I drove through the arch only to find myself in a log jam of traffic. 


Then I turned to the left between two buildings and found myself in Golfing Heaven on an empty road.


The Royal and Ancient Golf Club located on The Old Course in St Andrews. Sadly under lots of Scaffold.

The Royal & Ancient + 18th Green.






The Old Course Hotel where I will be going next.


Playing on one of the other courses.





The old Jigger Inn attached to the hotel.


Lurking at The Old Course Hotel where I once had the pleasure of being a Table Host at a lunch given by Jaeger, Ebel and Cartier, for the Professional Golfer's wives during the Open Golf Tournament that year. 

The Tourists, Students and Golfers make St Andrews an interesting place if a traffic nightmare. 

I had to go into the chaos first to be able to find these famous but seemingly quiet golfing venues.



The A913 road across country to Perth via Cuper was a superb country drive as I zipped along in front of a big Aston Martin Vanquish. Then he found a way around me and was gone into the distance (only to be caught up with again at the A92 crossing).


I was soon on my way to Perth via Newburgh and Abernathy. 

 It was getting late and I was very tired now so did not take many photos. 


Alongside the River Tay at Newburgh 




I was still on course to arrive at my Perth destination on time a 6pm for the first time this week. 

I could have avoided Perth altogether by crossing using the Tay Road Bridge to Dundee. 

However I decided to go the extra distance so that I could visit Russel Patterson's Perth Morgan Garage in the morning before setting off to the Moray Firth.

I have arrived in Perth and now just need to fin my B&B for the night at the Hazeldene guest house.


Here at last - my parking place is in the rear on the right.


As my accommodation is Bed & breakfast only I needed to take a walk into the center of Perth to find a restaurant for my evening meal. On the way I needed to cross the river again. This time on foot.

The view from the Old River Tay bridge.



I found the lovely Royal George Hotel whose restaurant overlooks the river.




The well tended Gardens, from my seat in the restaurant.


The Old Bridge again which is located on West Bridge Street


Opposite the front of the Royal George Hotel is The Perth Museum & Art Gallery. 
Unfortunately it was closed during my evening time there.


The more austere Hotel Frontage on St George Street.


As night falls the Bridge is illuminated with this series of down-lighters. 

The large gate indicates that the river is liable to flood and overflow in certain weather conditions.




The day was nicely rounded off with Dinner in the Royal George Hotel before sloping off back to Hazeldene for a good night's sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Well done, enjoying the Blog and loking forward to the very north of Scotland report. Tony/Plus 4/York

    ReplyDelete